Microwave has been one of the best inventions of the past century so far. It helps you to get some basic cooking done in the blink of an eye. And the best part is that you don’t have to use many utensils and will save time.
Microwave has changed our cooking and eating methods. The microwave handles everything from reheating last night’s leftovers to defrosting the food. It allows you to cook with convenience & efficiency like never before.
Microwave has become a part of every household these days. Almost 100% of families have a microwave, which they use daily to cook or reheat food. Despite being so popular, certain things about a microwave trouble users.
We will answer some of the frequently asked queries regarding a microwave below. These queries range from how to clean the microwave to how to cook corn on the cob in the microwave. We will answer them all one by one below.
What Is The Trick For Microwaving Corn On The Cob?
There is no such trick. Corn on the cob is microwaved like regular food. It’s just that it tends to dry out in the microwave heat. You can use a microwave-safe plastic wrap to trap moisture inside it and prevent it from drying.
Why doesn’t corn pop in the microwave?
Microwaving corn does not result in popcorn, as the kernel requires some moisture to pop. The kernels have a moisture content of 8%-12% as they require a moisture of 15%-18% in order to pop. Further, the microwaves of a microwave do not build enough moisture and heat for the kernels to pop.
For making popcorn, you need some other heating technique, such as stove heating. It helps the kernels reach the adequate temperature and moisture to pop.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Corn On The Cob In The Microwave?
Microwaving an ear of corn on the cob takes between 3 to 5 minutes. The exact timing for cooking it on the cob also depends on the microwave’s wattage and the corn’s size. You can microwave it on the cob for 3 to 5 minutes first and check whether it is done. You can microwave it again for a minute or so if it is not done.
Is it better to microwave or boil corn on the cob?
It all depends on the kind of taste you want and personal preferences. You can microwave it on the cob to have a quick and tasty meal. If you do not have enough time, microwaving it can be one of the best techniques. But if you want a soft texture and are ready to devote more time, you can always go for boiling the corn on the cob. This technique takes time but results in a delicious and devouring corn on the cob.
Is Microwaving corn on the cob healthy?
No scientifically proven study says that microwaving corn on the cob is unhealthy. Microwaving it, rather, helps you retain its nutrients and flavors. Rather, boiling it dissolves most of its nutrients into the water.
Hence, microwaving corn is healthy and safe.
Do I need to soak the corn before microwaving?
You do not need to soak it in the water before putting it inside the microwave. Put it on the cob inside the microwave in a microwave-safe dish and heat it for 3-4 minutes. The husk will lock the moisture inside, and you will have delicious and devouring corn on the cob.
Do you want to what are the Food trending in the UK? Read here: https://gobookmarking.com/flavour-trends-2023-in-uk-food-and-cooking
How Long Do You Microwave two ears of corn?
Each ear of corn takes anything between 3 to 5 minutes to cook inside a microwave. You can multiply this time by the number of corn you are cooking at once to get an estimated cooking time.
Can you cook two ears of corn in the microwave at the same time?
Yes, you can cook more than one corn on the cob inside a microwave. You must be careful regarding the space between the two consequent corns. They should have enough space between them to cook evenly.
Also, the amount of time you heat your corn on the cob will increase as you increase the number of corn inside the microwave. You can check it for doneness by inspecting the tenderness of the corn kernels and can adjust the cooking time according to it.
Can you overcook corn on the cob in the microwave?
The risk of overcooking the corn on the cob in the microwave is quite small. You can enjoy your corn on the cob by microwaving it for a few minutes.
If you want to eliminate the risk of overcooking your corn on the cob, you can check for the doneness of your corn. Just check its kernels for tenderness and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
How do you microwave corn on the cob without peeling it?
Corn on the cob is a summertime delight that everybody likes. Traditionally, it was boiled or grilled, but the microwave has made cooking it hassle-free. Microwaving it saves time and locks its nutrients & flavors inside it.
Let’s find out how to microwave corn on the cob below:
To microwave corn on the cob, you need the following materials.
- Microwave-safe container
- Microwave-safe plastic wrap
Once you arrange the above materials, follow the below steps to microwave corn on the cob:
- Prepare your corn by removing the husk from it. Clean it thoroughly by rinsing it.
- Melt some butter and brush it over it. You can also sprinkle some salt for added taste.
- Lay the corn on the microwave in a microwave-safe dish. If you are cooking two or more ears of corn, maintain some distance between them to ensure proper cooking.
- Cover it with microwave-safe plastic to prevent it from drying.
- Close the lid and microwave your corn in a high setting for at least 3 to 5 minutes per ear.
- Check the corn peeling in microwave-safe plastic. If its grains are tender and juicy, they can be enjoyed. If not, microwave it again for some additional minutes.
The corn is now ready to be enjoyed. Once it is done, let it cool down and serve with butter and salt on a plate.
If you decide to microwave the corn otherwise, the microwave can get extremely dirty.
Here’s how you should clean it:
How to clean the microwave?
Microwaves are prone to getting dirty. It is essential to clean the microwaves properly to maintain their efficiency and hygiene.
But let’s first understand how microwaves get dirty.
How do microwaves get dirty?
Microwaves get dirty by the splatters & spills of food caused while heating them uncovered. Yes, if you are heating a bowl of gravy uncovered, the gravy can splatter on the top or the bottom of the microwave. Hence, to prevent microwaves from getting dirty, covering your food while heating is suggested.
Now, let’s return to our previous topic, how to clean the microwave.
Cleaning a microwave is a straightforward & easy task. You need the following materials for cleaning a microwave:
- A microwave-safe container
- Vinegar or lemon juice
- Dish wash soap
- Some paper towels or tissues
Once you gather all of the above items, follow the guide below to clean your microwave:
- Clean the loose debris from your microwave using a paper towel or tissue.
- Prepare a cleaning solution in the microwave-safe container. Mix vinegar or lemon juice with equal amounts of water. Add some dishwashing soap for further cleaning and a pleasant smell.
- Heat the solution inside the microwave for 3-5 minutes. This will produce steam in the mixture that will help loosen and soften the stuck food residue.
- Once the heating is done, keep the microwave door closed for another 5 minutes.
- Open the microwave and remove the container cautiously, as it may be hot.
- Wipe out the interior using a paper towel or tissue.
- Take the turntable out and clean it like you wash your utensils using a soft scrub & dishwashing soap. Completely dry it and put it back inside the microwave.
- Clean the exterior of the microwave using a wet cloth.
That’s all about how to clean the microwave.